[TN-Bird] swifts again

  • From: "Ruth Luckado" <luck@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 09:12:24 -0500

---didn't expect to be posting again this soon but here goes

My son and I went down to the High School this morning to watch the Chimney
Swifts come out----we arrived at 6:20AM (official sunrise time was predicted as
6:32AM)---the birds were departing the chimney, but we probably should have
been there earlier. I think we got the ending of the coming out.  AT 6:25 A
STRANGE THING HAPPENED----300+ BIRDS BEGAN THEIR COUNTER CLOCKWISE CIRCLING AND
DROPPING IN THE CHIMNEY AGAIN.  AT 6:36 A SMALL HAWK ARRIVES, PERCHES ON THE
EDGE----much too briefly to determine which species ( I'm thinking
Sharp-shinned, Cooper's--not falcon, and definitely not crows---they're flying
by, ignoring the whole thing) IT WENT INTO THE CHIMNEY  AND DID NOT COME OUT
UNTIL 7:01AM LEAVING  IN THE DIRECTION TO QUICKLY BE BEHIND THE BUILDING PROPER
WITH NO WAY TO ID FROM THERE TO THE WOODS.  DURING THE TIME IT WAS IN THE
CHIMNEY, THE SWIFTS KEPT CIRCLING BUT WOULD VEER OFF AND NOT DROP IN ( with
exception of a few single ones)

WHEN THE HAWK WAS GONE, A SMALLER NUMBER, BUT MORE WIDELY DISPERSED GROUP BEGAN
DROPPING IN AGAIN. MOST JUST KEPT CIRCLING, BUT  BY 7:30AM, THE SKY WAS CLEAR
AGAIN AND THE SUN UP AND ABOUT  WHEN WE LEFT OUR HOUSE THE TEMP WAS 49 DEGREES
FARENHEIT

THANKS TO ALL WHO HAVE E-MAILED ME,  BOTH WITH INTERESTING INFORMATION, GENERAL
COMMENTS, AND ESPECIALLY REMINDING ME OF WORK DONE BY AMELIA LASKEY, AS WELL AS
DR GOODPASTURE AND OTHERS.

RUTH LUCKADO
TULLAHOMA, TN

note---my son once had a chimney sweep business, and besides helping with
spotting and timekeeping, regaled me with  inside the chimney info.
: