[TN-Bird] swallows?

  • From: "Carole Gobert" <cpgobert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 08:38:28 -0500

Sunday afternoon around 5 p.m. there were several little black birds darting
here and there in an open field at the very end of Gleason Road in
Knoxville.  I'm relatively new at trying to ID birds but I got a pretty good
look at one of them when it stopped for a brief rest in a small tree and it
looked to me like either a purple martin or tree swallow though it could
have been something completely different.  They are black on top, white
underneath, have short bills and short tails, approximately cardinal-sized.

There were also lots of starlings just down the road from the field near the
shopping center.

If you're interested in taking  a look, from Morrell Road southbound (going
away from Kingston Pike), turn left at the traffic light on Gleason (away
from West Town) and take it till it dead ends.  The field is behing an
assisted living facility on the left.  There was a porta potty and bulldozer
parked there, so you might want to wait till after the workmen leave; they
weren't there Sunday.

Carole Gobert
West Knox County, Tenn.