[TN-Bird] south east Blount birding

  • From: Charlie <cmmbirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Bird <TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 17:41:49 -0800 (PST)

Hi Folks,

My attempt to see as many birds in one county in one year
continues...

Today David Trently and I birded the southeast portion of Blount
County.  Areas we visited include: Top of the World Lake, Foothills
Parkway, Chilhowee Reservoir, the little bit of Tellico Reservoir
that is in Blount, Cades Cove, and finally to West Miller's Cove
Road.  Early in the day we also paid a short trip to Cheoah Reservoir
in Swain County, NC.  An asterisk indicates a year bird for Blount.

We walked up a manway in Great Smoky Mountains National Park in a
region called Tabcat for a bit, hoping to find a Peregrine that was
reported weeks ago, we saw many CHICKADEES, but they were all
CAROLINA- I still haven't a Black-capped.  There were MANY DARK-EYED
JUNCOS, a few TUFTED TITMICE, the ONLY YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLER of the
day, and a RED-BREASTED NUTHATCH.

A hen RUFFED GROUSE* was walking beside US 129 just south of Parson's
Branch Road.

We had 3 BALD EAGLES* at Calderwood Dam - 2 adult and a 2nd year, all
soaring together.  We also had a 3rd year or 4th year that wasn't
quite through molting, during a short jaunt to Cheoah Reservoir in
NC.

In the former Calderwood Community David spotted a BROWN CREEPER* for
me.  We also had FIELD SPARROWs, and 4 WOODPECKERS - (Sapsucker,
Downy, Pileated, Red-bellied) and a SHARP-SHINNED HAWK and a
RED-TAILED HAWK.

Thanks to Jean Alexander for posting the HERRING GULL*.  It was
sitting next to the upper sewage lagoon at Cades Cove when we
arrived.  It hardly moved for over 30 minutes.  I think it is not
well.  While there we also had a flock of RED CROSSBILLS* flyover,
one AMERICAN PIPIT and about 16 BUFFLEHEAD.  In fact, Bufflehead is
the ONLY duck we had today.  And they were everywhere.

At the end of West Miller's Cove Road we saw a flock of at least 65
WILD TURKEYS*.  Last bird of the day was right down from my house - a
lone COMMON GRACKLE* on Barnes Avenue.

Total of 49 species.  Not a bad day.  Then, of course, the Patriots
won!

I have now seen 90 bird species in Blount County in 2005.  Could I
hit 100 by the end of the month?  A couple "easy birds" are left -
Barred Owl, Horned Grebe, Common Loon, Lesser Scaup.  I've also
missed some birds others have seen - Common Goldeneye, Canvasback.

Charlie

=====
Charlie Muise, Naturalist near
Great Smoky Mountains National Park

"Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of cancer."  -Edward Abbey