[TN-Bird] slow spring - Knox, Blount

  • From: kde@xxxxxxx
  • To: Tennessee Birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 09:58:29 -0400 (EDT)

Maybe I'm just being over anxious but seems like migration is
going really slow so far this year despite several fronts having
come through.  I have about a dozen regular species whose early
arrival date on the yard list (Knox Co) have passsed (in some cases
passed for some time) but which have yet to make an appearance.
For example, Yellow-throated Warbler, Yellow-throated Vireo, Ruby-
throated Hummingbird, Purple Martin, ....  And the species that
have shown up have been in small numbers and many only sparingly.
Since the nice 4-warbler day I had on 5 April, I haven't had any
warblers in the yard except a few Yellow-rumps.  2 Blue-headed Vireos
in March but no vireos of any species since.  Finally got Tree
Swallow on Easter and N Rough-winged Swallow today (Monday, 13 Apr).
Chimney Swifts came through on Saturday (11 April) but haven't
been seen since.  Only 3 or 4 sightings of Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
so far.

Good news is that we still have Hermit Thrushes, Purple Finches,
and Pine Siskins and our first Dark-eyed Junco in a month showed
up on Saturday (11 April) and has visited the feeder every day
since.

Anyway, on other notes, did some family things this weekend
including spending some time with the in-laws on Saturday in
Louisville, (Blount Co, TN) where we had a flyover adult BALD
EAGLE and all the regular swallows except Bank.

Dean Edwards
Knoxville, TN

                       MAP RESOURCES