[TN-Bird] singing hermit thrush

  • From: Rikki Hall <rikki@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 08:34:44 -0400

I am petsitting for a friend, and when I arrived a few minutes ago, I
was serenaded by a thrush in her backyard. I habitually thought
"Swainson's" then realized March 31 is too early for that, and it dawned
on me that I was hearing an overwintering hermit thrush gearing up for
its trip north!

I've heard overwintering hermits sing before on rare occasions, but it
has always been quiet, incomplete songs, "ghost" songs if you will. This
fellow was in full voice for several minutes and went through the full
song dozens of times. What a treat.

This observation occurred in the Mt. Olive community in southwestern
Knox Co, and I made a 30-second recording by using my camera's movie mode.

Rikki Hall
Rockford, Blount Co.