[TN-Bird] Re: shrike deserves state listing as in need of management

  • From: "Michael Roedel" <Michael.Roedel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <wpeeples@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <sstedman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 17:00:28 -0600

Steve and Rob,
Loggerhead shrike is already on TWRA's "Species of management concern"
list.  See http://www.state.tn.us/twra/nong002.html for the full
listing.

The loggerhead shrike has been at the top of my list of Tennessee birds
that need immediate attention for the past year.  I've been talking with
TOS members and TWRA biologists across the state to try and learn more
about the local status before addressing this issue at the state level.
Last month, at the Southeast Partners in Flight annual meeting in Texas,
I raised the question of a multistate study to look at the issue of the
rapid decline of this species.  Georgia was already gearing up for a
statewide shrike study, Kentucky has a study in progress, and we hope to
bring in Alabama and South Carolina at the least to get a project
rolling.  Our aim is to learn more about a number of aspects concerning
the declining numbers of shrikes observed in this part of the country.

I will keep you posted as progress is made.  Please feel free to contact
me at any time about such issues.  Thank you.  Mike

Michael Roedel, State Ornithologist
Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency
Nashville, Tennessee

>>> "wpeeples" <wpeeples@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> 03/11/05 1:48 PM >>>
I agree.
I have noticed, especially within the last two or three years, a very
apparent decline in shrikes, even over here in west TN, where not too
long
ago they were fairly common.
Sounds like something to check with Mike Roedel, our state
ornithologist?

Rob Peeples
Germantown, TN
Shelby County