[TN-Bird] short-eared owls in bledsoe county

  • From: "Stephen Stedman" <SStedman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 08:36:50 -0600

With five others (Winston Walden, Carol Williams, Nancy Layzer, Janie
Finch, and Ric Finch), I visited Ninemile Crossroad in northern Bledsoe
County yesterday.  We arrived at the site, described in David Trently's
message from earlier in the week, at 1615 CST, finding four Northern
Harriers in the area.  Just as the sun dipped below the western horizon
at 1645 CST, we sighted the first of three Short-eared Owls that
eventually made an appearance for us.  During the next half hour these
owls essentially duplicated most of the behavior witnessed by the
observers last Sunday.  In addition, one of the Short-ears foraged
within 30 meters of us for several minutes, capturing several prey items
during this interval.

I believe that these owls might be viewable for the next month or so at
this site, perhaps longer, by anyone who can visit at dusk (or dawn).
On clear days, the show should begin as soon as the sun sets (which is,
remember, 45 seconds later than the day before for each day of the year
until June 21); on cloudy days, it probably begins earlier.

Steve Stedman
Cookeville, TN