[TN-Bird] sharpshin hawk

  • From: "Thais Carr" <carrtk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 08:45:49 -0600

I was walking between the two barns on the property of the Harrison House on
the south side of Franklin yesterday.  As I exited the barn, movement caught my
eye & I found myself at eye level with a sharpshin hawk 6-8 feet away that had
what I think was a starling in its talons.  (It was so quick I couldn't quite
tell)  What surprised me was that it looked me right in the eye as it passed.
Nice surprise for an otherwise mundane workday!

I would like to add a couple other notes-I'm also VERY anxious to learn more
about the vanity plates. I'm not so concerned about which department  is
getting the remainder of the money I had spent on my plates (tho it
particularly irks me to think DOT, which is putting an interstate  close to my
house, gets it) as I am about the fact that it seems to be very sneaky with
lots of rumors & confusion resulting.  Just tell all Tennesseans where the
money goes so we can make informed decisions-is this such an unreasonable
request????   I had read the article from the Knoxville paper when it was
discussed on this list previously & was puzzled it apparently was never
mentioned in the Tennessean.

Jeff, keep up the postings.  While I will never be the serious birder you are,
I REALLY enjoy your writings.  And one last ramble-Martha Sargent might enjoy
knowing that I gave suet feeders with 6 cakes of homemade suet from her recipe
to a number of friends for Christmas this year.  Thanks to all who share on
this list.

Thais Carr