[TN-Bird] roosting raptor at Bell's Bend

  • From: Chris Sloan <chris.sloan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Bird Listserv <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2010 23:12:04 -0500

Several weeks back, Linnann Welch had showed me a spot at the Bell's Bend
Park Nature Center where some sort of diurnal raptor was clearly roosting.
 It was in a corner up underneath the roof, and lots of whitewash and
pellets were underneath.  Tonight I knew I would be coming back not far from
there so I brought my headlamp and decided to have a look.
I crept on it as best I could, but unfortunately, the bird was tucked up so
high on the outside corner that I had no chance to find it on the perch
without disturbing it.  I did get the light on it as it was flying out and
away.  I'm virtually certain it's a Sharp-shinned Hawk.  The only other
possibilities based on the size and shape are American Kestrel and Merlin,
and I can't completely rule them out, but I am fairly certain that the wings
were rounded, which would make it a Sharpie.

regards,

Chris Sloan
Nashville, TN
http://www.chrissloanphotography.com