[TN-Bird] Re: possible N Goshawk at Percy Priest Lake longer version

  • From: Rconnorsphoto@xxxxxxx
  • To: TN-Bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2011 20:42:42 EST

Same report as before with more detail:

Feb. 19, 2011 Hamilton Creek Recreation area, J. Percy Priest Lake,
Davidson County TN

On an NTOS outing to Percy Priest Lake Jan Shaw and I observed what we
concluded was an immature (sub-adult, first year) Northern Goshawk. The bird
was  moving north-east from the lake over the treeline and flew overhead. Wind
was  out of the north-west at about 15 mph. The sky was overcast but not
too dark.  Lighting was not the best but not terrible.

We had stopped after a turn to wait for stragglers and the other group went
 on the lake (the bay near the mountain bike trail /BMX parking area).  The
area is cedar forest about 200 yards from the lake. I was out of the car
standing when I first saw it approaching from the lake area.  It dipped below
the treeline, and came on towards us at an angle. Jan saw  it at some point
and got out of the car. I was viewing with 10x42 Swarovski  binoculars and
was on it the entire time it was visible. It was not flapping and  gliding
in the typical accipiter fashion but shallow rowing and soaring, tacking
against the wind. It passed overhead at no great altitude.

From underneath it was heavily streaked on the chest and belly, with no
distinguishing pattern to wings or tail.
Wings: generally buteo shaped, bent at the wrist but not angled and pointed
 as in falcon, with fingers of primaries splayed slightly, so peregrine
falcon eliminated; wings not patterned in any way, but just appeared mottled;
red-shouldered hawk and northern harrier usually have some distinguishing
pattern in the wings from below, and harrier wings should have appeared
long.
The tail was longish and faintly barred, but not thin and long as usually
appears in Cooper's hawk. Face not seen well.
In size it was smaller than red-tailed hawk but much larger than  Cooper's.
Our experience with Cooper's hawks over the years told us this was  bird
was larger and evidently something different. We observed a couple of
red-tails during the morning and the larger size was reinforced. Dark forms  of
red-tail did not fit because of size, and distinctive shape and pattern  of
streaks on the chest and belly of our mystery  bird.

Neither of us have previous experience with imm. goshawk, but by process of
 elimination going thru all the possibilities we could think of, we
concluded it  was sub-adult northern goshawk. This may not be enough evidence
hold up in  bird court, and it may not be accepted by eBird's GBBC, but that's
life on the  birding trail, you do what you can.

Richard Connors
Nashville

               Assistant Moderator Chris O'Bryan
                        Clarksville, TN