[TN-Bird] pokeberries

  • From: Charlie <cmmbirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 08:26:28 -0700 (PDT)

Hi folks,

I agree with Dev - birds love those berries.  I've never owned land
before, having lived in an assortment of differnt parks/sanctuaries,
so I was pretty spoiled.  Now I live in a place where people mow
everything down, spray God knows what, release cats like it's in the
Bill Of Rights, etc.  In other words, I live with Americans.

Well the neighbors all look pretty funny when they see Tracey and I
doing "yard work".  We let the Poke grow.  Ditto goldenrod,
Eupatorium, baby Cherry and Cedar trees, etc.  We are also letting a
1-2 foot edge along the entire property grow as it chooses.  While we
don't have the yard list that people like Dean have, we have
certainly seen the number of birds in our modest Maryville (Blount
County) yard increase in just 15 months that we've been there.

And the Poke is among the favorites.  Robins, Mockers, Red-bellied
Woodpeckers, House Finches, Bluebirds and Yellow-rumped Warblers all
seem to like it - especially the big bush growing around our compost
pile - which also gets funny looks from the neighbors - who currently
have a bulldozer and non-functioning van in their yard, so what do
they know?.

The other thing that seems to be working well to attract birds is my
brush piles.  Every stick that lands in our yard (we have a number of
trees of various species and sizes, and degrees of health) gets put
into one of 3 piles that provide the birds (and at least one Box
Turtle) with cover and food in the form of invertebrates.  I'm also
hoping that the local mice will choose those instead of our
house...but time will tell.

Yesterday we had our first White-eyed Vireo in the yard.

Charlie

=====
Charlie Muise, Senior Naturalist
Now living in Maryville, TN
Still working in Great Smoky Mountains
National Park

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm"
Ralph Waldo Emerson