[TN-Bird] pending capture of white red-tail hawk

  • From: "Bob Hatcher" <hatcher2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Rconnorsphoto@xxxxxxx>, <TN-Bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 20:38:53 -0600

Thanks to TWRA's Tommy Edwards and to Richard Connors for asking for input
by TOS members.  Since an albino red-tailed hawk is unique and revered by
anyone who is lucky enough to see it in the wild, I favor leaving it in the
wild, where the public can continue to enjoy viewing it.  .

A joint TWRA and USFWS  permit is issued for each falconry permit in
Tennessee.  Falconers are required to obtain TWRA written permission before
taking a bird from the wild.  If you Google "Falconry Regulations,
Tennessee", you can read Tennessee's falconry regulations.  There is no
mention of state legal restriction concerning the taking of adult red-tailed
hawks for falconry purposes in Tennessee, but only first-year red-tails can
be used in some states.   It is therefore good that TWRA is seeking TOS
input, which considering the legalities involved,  may be needed to help
TWRA justify its likely preference to deny permission to take the albino
hawk from the wild.

After having administered TWRA's falconry program for over 20 years (1980 -
2001), I have high respect for the integrity of the vast majority of
falconers.   I believe most would agree that the albino hawk should not be
used in falconry.   That would also be consistent with the spirit of
regulations that prohibit the taking of rare raptor species for falconry
purposes.  Falconers have contributed greatly to our knowledge and
management techniques for raptors nationwide.  For example, Dr. Tom Cade,
then  of Cornell University, was the first to adapt the falconry hacking
technique in 1972 to hack peregrine falcons in order to restore natural
nesting.  This ultimately resulted in federal delisting of the peregrine
falcon in 1999.  Early peregrine success led Peter Nye to try hacking of
bald eagles in up-state New York in 1976.  This led to a successful bald
eagle nest in NY in 1980,  leading many states similarly to aid recovery of
bald eagles, ospreys, California condors, and other rare raptors.  A few
falconers have contributed their expertise and valuable voluntary assistance
in Tennessee for hacking: bald eagles, peregrine falcons, and ospreys.  Two
of the most knowledgeable raptor veterinarians in the country (at the
Universities of  Minnesota and Tennessee) are master falconers, who no doubt
have learned much from their practice of falconry.

I therefore support TOS' respectfully recommending to TWRA that permission
be denied for the taking of any albino raptor for falconry purposes.

Thanks.

Bob Hatcher
TWRA Nongame & Endangered Wildlife Coordinator (1978 - 2001), and
TOS Conservation Policy Committee Co-Chair
Brentwood, TN