[TN-Bird] odd goose at Hatchie NWR... terrible photos included

  • From: Shawna Ellis <yodergoat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tn Bird List <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2013 12:46:36 -0600

1-8-13 just before dusk
Shawna Ellis and family
Hatchie NWR (headquarters area viewing platforms)
Haywood county?

After our failed attempt to see the Ash-throated Flycatcher Tuesday,
my husband, daughter and I stopped by at the Hatchie NWR headquarters
site, where there are several viewing decks and a driving loop. This
is the spot where the Say's Phoebe was seen last year.

It was already getting dim as we scanned through the Canada Geese from
the longer fishing pier style deck, and my husband spotted an unusual
goose with a pale head. He hurried to the car for the scope while I
kept the goose in sight. When we got it in the scope, we saw that it
was a hybrid of some kind.

It was smaller than the surrounding Canada geese, with a slim orange
or pinkish bill. It had a very light grey head that looked white
through binoculars but with the scope we saw it was all flecked and
speckled so that it looked more white just by contasting with the dark
neck. So the head and face were very light grey with lots of flecks
and the only pure white was a crescent right in front of the bill. The
top of the head was dark.

The dark neck was not nearly as dark as that of a Canada, but it
stopped at the same place a Canada's dark neck stops. The body color
was the same warm brown tone as a Canada, but with much less of a
scalloped look and slightly less contrast between wings and sides. The
chest was not as pale as a Canada. I saw the bird raise up out of the
water through a scope, and later saw it standing on a log through
binoculars, and noted that it had a few darkish bars on the lower
chest, for a slight scalloped effect there. It's primaries seemed the
same length as its tail. The area of white under the tail did not
seems as "long" as that of the Canadas, and was bright white. The bird
tipped up a couple of times to feed, showing its orange legs and no
black tail feathers. Later we saw it standing on a log, showing its
long orange legs and a posture that denoted a relatively slim bird. I
watched it preening through binoculars while my husband (in wading
boots) attempted to walk closer for a photo, but the camera did not
co-operate and the photos he got were dark and shaky. I included one
photo of it on the log so you could see the posture and the relative
size.

The bird associated with a particular Canada Goose, following it
wherever it swam. The only other geese there were many Canadas and
only one Cackling that I could make out, although after spotting the
hybrid we weren't as concerned with looking at all the others.

Our attempts at photography were thwarted by bad light. It was getting
very close to dark and the bird was at great distance. Please excuse
the EXTREME blurriness of these shots... but they're the best we have.
I did not have a small camera to attempt a digiscope, athough that
usually fails for me!

 Note that the white of the head in the photos looks "whiter" than it
did in real life... it was actually quite flecked and mottled and when
seen through a scope was not solid as it appears.

Photo one is the goose swimming with its companion. Photo 2 shows the
other side and is the best view for seeing the pure white crescent at
the base of the bill contrasting with its darker head. Photo 3 is it
(on the right) standing on the log and is good for size comparison and
posture... very very blurry, sorry!

We are thinking that this might be a Greater White-fronted x Canada
hybrid. I definitely do not think there is any domestic goose ancestry
here, as the bird was not that heavy-bodied and its bill was not at
all thick or knobby. It did not have a domestic "look."

What do you think?

-Shawna Ellis
Paris, TN
Henry County