[TN-Bird] Re: north american bird mortality

  • From: "Mcdonald, Kenneth" <kenneth_mcdonald@xxxxxxx>
  • To: David B Coe <davidbcoeauthor@xxxxxxxxx>, TN-Birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2014 16:49:44 -0500

I think the operative point is scale of risk. The example given at the
beginning of the thread was areas that see a lot of pressure from birders.
My own example was the Smokies: it's America's most visited National Park.
The NPS looks at both individual and cumulative effects - the risk of one
person performing an act and the risk of millions of people repeating the
act. The same can be said of areas frequented by large numbers of birders
each year. There is the impact I, as an individual might have ...then there
is the aggregate, cumulative impact of many people on the same area. I
present some literature below that touches the surface of how casual human
encounters can shape the behavior of individual birds and the structure of
avian communities.

Gill, Jennifer A. "Approaches to measuring the effects of human disturbance
on birds." *Ibis* 149.s1 (2007): 9-14.

Cresswell, Will. "Non‐lethal effects of predation in birds." *Ibis* 150.1
(2008): 3-17.

Fernández-Juricic, Esteban. "Can human disturbance promote nestedness? A
case study with breeding birds in urban habitat fragments." *Oecologia* 131.2
(2002): 269-278.

Miller, James R., and N. Thompson Hobbs. "Recreational trails, human
activity, and nest predation in lowland riparian areas." *Landscape and
urban planning *50.4 (2000): 227-236.