[TN-Bird] north american bird mortality

  • From: "Stedman, Stephen" <SStedman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2014 20:55:14 +0000

Estimated bird deaths caused by free-roaming cats in North America: 1 billion
per year.

Estimated bird deaths caused by bird-strikes against windows in North America:
100 million per year.

Estimated bird deaths caused by bird-strikes against structures other than
windows in North America: 10 million plus per year.

Estimated bird deaths caused by illegal shooting in North America: 5 million
plus per year.

Estimated bird deaths caused by collisions with automobiles in North America: 1
million plus per year; but automobiles are a net plus for birds because of all
the bird predators that are also killed by collisions with automobiles.

Estimated bird deaths caused by spishers in North America: 1000-10000 per year;
I pulled this figure out of the air but I doubt it is out of touch with reality
by much.

Now where should those enforcing the Migratory Bird Treaty Act of 1918 be
focusing their attention?

Stephen J. Stedman, Ph.D.
Professor Emeritus
Tennessee Technological University