[tn-bird] moth/bees/heron

  • From: "Thais Carr" <carrtk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tn-birdfreelists.org" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2002 10:39:55 -0500

I've greatly enjoyed the informative moth discussion.  While cutting
oregano, the critter in question buzzed my head several times, as if telling me
I was bothering it while it tried to have some breakfast at the nearby
butterfly
bush.  I did indeed discover bumblebee type markings.  I've had
several of these feeding at a time the past couple days-they're fun to
watch.  Just a word on tomato hornworms-if you are not familiar with them,
you may have never noticed the little white "growths" you may see on them-like
grains of rice.  These are eggs of a parasitic wasp which will kill them
pretty soon, as well as hopefully reproduce   make lots of garden
guardians.  The first time I saw them,  it freaked me out but now that
I know what they are, I give thanks to the unseen momma wasp for her gift!
I'm also grateful for finally getting some rain-the honeybees kept trying to
feed at the hummer feeder, sometimes harrassing   chasing off the
hummers.  Since I do have water available for them near the hives, I assume
they were there due to a lack of nectar-bearing flowers in the wild.  Since
the rain, they haven't been around the house much.  My friend in Sylvan
Park in Nashville (very urban area) has gotten tons of honey from her hives
this
summer-her bees are lucky to dine off the well-watered gardens of all those
city
folks while mine are looking high   low for wildflowers to their taste in
the dry countryside.  One last note of interest is that around 7:30
yesterday morning while driving down Main Street in Franklin, I saw a blue
heron
circling-not just passing over, but making several large circles before I drove
too far to see it.  While we are only a couple blocks from the Harpeth
River, there's not anywhere for them to wade in the area, so that was a nice
surprise.

Thais Carr, Thompsons Station