[TN-Bird] Re: more on Black-necked Stilt at Rankin Bottom

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx, tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 08:06:37 EDT

In a message dated 5/11/2004 12:04:59 AM Central Standard Time,
jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx writes:
(1)  Carol Williams posted on TN-Birds,  Sat, 8 May 2004, that Judy Fuson
found a pair of Black-necked Stilts working a pond on Student's Home Road in
DeKalb County, Smithville  (east of Nashville).  THIS IS THE FIRST SPRING
RECORD FOR MIDDLE TENNESSEE ?  Carol has photos of these birds.
(2)  Two at Rankin Bottom, Cocke County, 8 May 2004 by Tracey Muise, Charlie
Muise, Leslie Gibbens, Michael Sledjeski and Linda Wright.  FIRST SPRING
RECORD FOR EAST TENNESSEE.
Did Carol have a pair (male and female) or just two Black-necked Stilt?

Was any attempt made to sex the 2 birds at Rankin Bottom?

When reporting birds, I think sexing and aging are important and if possible
that should be part of any posting.

Sexing Black-necked Stilts is usually straight forward in that the black on
the male is solid and usually glossy where on the female there is a rust tint
to the black. The males usually have richer reddish legs where females are
slightly paler. The legs are especially red during breeding on the male but can
be
almost as red on females during that time.

The breeding ritual of this species is worth watching for and is indicated by
the behavior of the two birds. They will start feeding closer together and
there is a slight but noticeable difference in their feeding style that
precedes
their mating ritual. The female will stop and assume a head down and tail
raise position, freezing in about a 60 degree angle with bill in line with the
body.

The male may start vocalizing and will take a position directly next to the
female and start to mock preen and splash the water with its bill. It will walk
around to the rear, never in front, and do the same on the other side. ( the
stilts in Australia are not as polite and circle the female) I've seen males
do this 4 to 5 times before he walks to the rear and mounts the back of the
female and stands only slightly crouched to balance. You are talking about a
tall
stack of birds at this time. Copulation is quick. The grand finale is the
dismount, the male assumes a position beside the female, they both stretch up
full height even seem to stand on their toes and then always politely cross
their bills. Pretty neat stuff.

I have the complete ritual on photos and will put it together on the net one
day if I ever get all my stuff straighten back up and re-scanned.

Remember sex and age what birds you can. It makes these reports more useful
when others search for the reported birds and adds a facet to birding just as
noting distribution, etc., as Wallace has mentioned.

Good Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL'COOT / TLBA
Bartlett, TN