[TN-Bird] more Knox County Common Loons

  • From: Carole Gobert <cpgobert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tennessee Bird List <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 18:36:40 -0400

This morning at 10:30 I returned to the site of my loon sightings Friday the
26th (Concord Park, west Knox County, TN) and from the end of the walking trail
found more breeding plumaged Common Loons.  This time a group of 7 was along
the shore to the east (where I?d seen 4 three days ago), a short distance from
them were at least 16 Double Crested Cormorants.  Four tree swallows were
checking out the nestbox beside the loop as well as the crotch of a small dead
tree; I couldn?t tell if there was a cavity in the tree they were interested
in.  A Brown Thrasher was singing in another tree.

I moved on to The Cove (about 2.3 miles west and still in Concord Park) and
there I found another Common Loon.  It may have been one of the seven I saw at
the Walking Trail because as I was leaving there I saw what I think was a loon
flying in that direction.  The Cove loon was in so close that at one point I
could clearly see its amber eyes.  I?ve never seen a loon at the Cove before.
Farther out were two Horned Grebes, one in breeding plumage and one still in
winter plumage.  An Osprey made repeated trips to its nest on the osprey
platform at the Yacht Club, bringing sticks to the nest.  A second Osprey was
on the nest.  Saw my FOS Northern Rough-winged Swallow and a few Tree Swallows.

Carole Gobert, Knoxville, Knox County, TN