[TN-Bird] mob scene - Knox

  • From: kde@xxxxxxx
  • To: Tennessee Birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 09:18:34 -0400 (EDT)

More birding from the backyard (west Knox Co) this morning (Thurs,
11 Sept 2008).  A little after 7:30AM, what may have started as a
titmouse turf war escalated into a full-blown avian riot.

About a dozen Tufted Titmice showed up at the feeder which is about
double what I normally see at one time.  The titmice started going
completely crazy fussing and flittering about.  I never saw anything
that they might have been mobbing.  They were about 15ft above ground
level.  A half-dozen or so Carolina Chicakees and a couple Carolina
Wrens quickly joined in and were soon followed by half the small
birds in the neighborhood including 7 warbler species.

The mob list:

Ruby-throated Hummingbird, 3-4
Downy Woodpecker, 1
Carolina Chickadee, ~6
Tufted Titmouse, ~12
Carolina Wren, 2
GOLDEN-WINGED WARBLER, 1 male, only 2nd ever in the yard
Northern Parula, 1
Chestnut-sided Warbler, at least 1
Magnolia Warbler, at least 1
American Redstart, at least 1
Ovenbird, 2
Hooded Warbler, 1 male
Northern Cardinal, 6-10

The whole thing only lasted a few minutes.  Some birds like the
Golden-wing and Parula left quickly but others stayed around for
some time after everybody else had left.  The whole time, a few
titmice and chickadees were calmly visiting the feeder as if
nothing was going on.

On another note, I've been watching these 2 Ovenbirds for 4 days
now.  I put the scope on them as they poked around under the feeders
and they are definitely picking at sunflower seed scraps.  Bent does
mention that they will eat seeds so there we have it, another bird
for the feeder list.

Dean Edwards
Knoxville, TN

                       MAP RESOURCES