[tn-bird] migrants / plant question

  • From: K Dean EDWARDS <kde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tennessee Birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 10:42:43 -0400 (EDT)

We heard another good flight of migrants passing overhead last night
(13 Oct).  That's the third big flight that we've heard pass over our
home in west Knoxville in the last couple of weeks.

This morning (14 Oct) there was some fallout from the flight.  Before
I had to leave for work, I found lots of Yellow-rumps, 3 or 4 Am
Redstarts, a somewhat late Yellow-billed Cuckoo (first sighting for
the yard, had heard some in the spring) and a Philadelphia Vireo
(second record for our yard).

Now a plant ID question.  Last night I was working around in the yard
and noticed some odd plants in the woods.  There are 3 or 4 of these
in the woods in the backyard.  They are about 4- to 6-foot tall shrubs
or saplings with single (i.e., non-compound) leaves that are long and
pointy (kinda like a cherry).  They have numerous balls on them that
have opened up like a chestnut.  Here's the kicker.  The balls have
bright, HOT PINK wart-looking things on the outside and inside have
at least 4 bright red, kidney-shaped berries.  Looks like something
out of a Dr. Seuss book.  Anyone know what these might be?  I can
get a picture and post it if needed.

Dean Edwards
Knoxville, TN