[TN-Bird] mealworms and science

  • From: James Brooks <comeback@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tennessee Birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2003 09:51:58 -0500

Anyone considering raising mealworms for a continuous supply of bluebird
food can spend a delightful part of this cold morning  checking this
website and reading the experiments performed on mealworms by a second
grade class on such subjects as color preference, light and dark
preference, right and left turn orientation, reverse inducement, all
leading to some occasionally unlooked for conclusions, such as: "When a
mealworm bites it only hurts for about 10 seconds."
With second grade scientists like this I have great hopes for our
nation's education system.
 For any of you who are teachers, this is wonderful stuff, and for the
serious scientists there is even a test to take to determine if you've
been paying attention.
All this for the benefit of bluebirds:

http://www.wayland.k12.ma.us/claypit_hill/saylor/mealworms/mealwormsonweb.html

James Brooks