[TN-Bird] Re: hummingbird feeder

  • From: Dthomp2669@xxxxxxx
  • To: cpgobert@xxxxxxxxxxx, tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2004 14:53:52 EDT

Dear Carole (& any other interested TN-Birders),

In answer to your question as to how I prepare my jelly-filled orange halves,
here's my process:
First, I put half an orange down atop a nail driven into my deck rail with
the fruit side up.  My cardinals. robins, starlings, etc., eat all the fruit
out
leaving a nice shell "cup."  I then fill the emptied cup with jelly when I
put out a fresh orange half.  As each half-orange is consumed, I throw the old
"jelly cup" away, and fill the new "cup" made when the most recent orange fruit
was eaten out.  That way the cups remain rather fresh.  It works great, and
my birds and mammals LOVE it.

By the way, my squirrels get right "loopy" sometimes when they have gone on a
big "sugar binge."

Dee Thompson