[TN-Bird] horned grebes at Concord Park

  • From: "Carole Gobert" <cpgobert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 09:36:21 -0500

Late Saturday afternoon (around 5 p.m.) I saw 3 horned grebes at the Cove at
Concord Park in west Knox County.  They were on the pond to the left just
off the parking lot near the pavilion.  They hadn't been there when I
arrived about a half hour earlier.  I watched them from pretty close range
for about 15 minutes as they swam and took short dives in that pond; they
were just close enough to photograph with a chance of getting back decent
pictures.  They weren't at all spooked by me or other people in the area.  I
watched them until they slowly swam away to the east.  Came back Sunday
morning at 10:30 and one of them was at the same location but already
leaving.  It was taking extended dives as it moved eastward toward the boats
docked at the yacht club.  It never resurfaced after its last dive.

Other birds on the water were mallards, coots, ring billed gulls and a great
blue heron.

I took 12 photos of the grebes Saturday but I fear they are cursed.  Sunday
afternoon I went to Pellissippi State Campus (also in west Knox County) and
finished off the roll of film so I could  see if I had any decent shot of
the grebes.  Took some nice portrait shots of ring billed gulls in the
parking lot and walked around the pond with the idea of filming the lesser
scaup.  One was sleeping on the pond and the other two were sleeping on the
bank.  One of the bank scaup actually let me get close and take what would
have been some great photos, but then my luck took a nose dive.  The film
didn't rewind (first time that's ever happened) so when I opened the camera
to change rolls I exposed at least part of the roll, so I'm sure those great
shots of the scaup are gone.  After desperately trying everything I could
think of to get the film to rewind, including changing the camera batteries,
I ended up rewinding it manually in a dark bathroom.

Dropped the film off at Walgreen's one hour photo around 5:10 . Half an hour
later they called me, said their machine had malfunctioned and they'd call
me in about an hour when it was fixed.  Well, Monday morning it's still not
fixed, they're going to send it to another store to develop.  So, if I
didn't destroy all the pictures on the roll in removing it from the camera,
if Walgreen's doesn't lose it or malfunction it, if the grebes weren't too
far away, etc.  I may have some photos of them.

Carole Gobert, Knox County, Tennessee