[TN-Bird] Re: habitat selection?

  • From: Charlie <cmmbirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Bird <TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 12:19:58 -0800 (PST)

Hi Don, and others,

Most of my birding time has been spent in places that are suboptimal
for American Pipits.  Most of my observations have been of under 10
birds, next to water.  I've only seen flocks of 100+ a couple times
in my life, even though that is the norm for some people.

The assumption I've always made, based on those 2 facts, is that in
less than ideal conditions, pipits will hang out near water.  Perhaps
some of the same food sources - or similar ones - can be found along
a shore as they usually seek in a field?  Or perhaps along the shore
is the only local spot that "looks" like what they are seeking, in
terms of blending with the background, mobility, etc.

Thanks for making me think!  :-)

charlie

--- Dnldhlt@xxxxxxx wrote:

> Dear brainy birders,
>      I stopped briefly in Kingsport on Netherlands Inn Rd. under
> I-181 along
> the South Holston River today and saw an American Pipit working the
> riverbank
> and a yard and driveway.  Does finding them singly on shores like
> this,
> rather than en masse in agricultural fields, have any correlation
> migration or other behavior?  Is there anything that would tell one
> when to
> expect them in one habitat rather than the other?
>      Also, several Yellow-rumped Warblers were working the
> river-edge debris
> and flying over to land on the deck of the restaurant there.  I've
> noticed
> this particular habitat association before, including a
> preoccupation with
> manmade structures like decks and old bridge foundations, but I
> don't
> remember seeing anything written about it.  Is this a real
> preference or an
> artifact of my selective attention?  If real, do they continue this
>
> association at other times of year or in other places?
>
> Don Holt
> Johnson City, TN
>      Visit the Tennessee Ornithological Society
>           web site at http://www.tnbirds.org
>     TN-Bird Net Owner: Wallace Coffey, Bristol, TN
>         jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx      (423) 764-3958

=====
Charlie Muise, Senior Naturalist
Great Smoky Mountains Institute at Tremont
Townsend, TN  lat 35 deg, 38'23"  long 83 deg, 41'22"

"Up, Sluggard, and waste not life; in the grave will be sleeping enough"
 - Ben Frankline, Poor Richard's Almanac