[TN-Bird] ground nesting Mourning Dove

  • From: David Vogt <dfvogt41@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 May 2012 11:04:23 -0500

Yesterday, I flushed a Mourning Dove from the ground in a weed field here
in Bledsoe Co.  It performed the old injury feign and a short search
revealed a single egg laid directly on the ground.  Little or no nest
material was present.  I understand that Mourning Doves are know to do this
more regularly in western regions where trees are more scarce but, this is
only the 2nd M. Dove nest I've ever seen on the ground.

David Vogt