[TN-Bird] from Susie Stout

  • From: Charlie <cmmbirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Bird <TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 12:41:53 -0700 (PDT)

Hi folks,

Susie Stout can't seem to get an email to post on TN-birds (neither
can Meredith Clebsch, or a couple other people - maybe there is a
problem?) so I'm forwarding this for her.

Charlie

Hi Charlie,
I don't know how common this is, but I thought some area birders
might
be interested. I would post it to the TN-Bird list myself but for
some
reason my posts are not going through. Will you post it for me?
I noticed at my church that we have a massing of chimney swifts.
(Could
this be the true meaning of "sanctuary"?) They are roosting in a
large
chimney just below the bell tower. Must be 1000s in there because
close
to dusk there is a large flock spiraling around the area. I don't
know
what time it starts... by 7:35 p.m., there were lots going in and the

last two or three went in at 7:49 p.m. I'm going to try to head over
there just before dawn in the morning and maybe get some pix. I
looked
it up on the internet and this behavior can last a couple of weeks or

so.
If anyone wants to watch, it's at 900 Northshore (right next to the
big
military cemetary at Lyons View) at the Church of the Ascension. The
best places to watch from is around back or possible the north side.
think the view from the front would be obstructed by the bell tower.
may try to run by at 7:00 p.m. also to see how big a flock is there
at
that time.
I first saw it last Wednesday and tried to post but couldn't. I sent
it
directly to Wallace also and didn't get a response. Nor did I get a
response from him about me being unable to post. It didn't occur to
me
to send it to you to get it on there.

Susie Stout
531-2860
cell 386-7554
8324 High Lark Lane 37923
FAX 531-2836

=====
Charlie Muise, Naturalist near
Great Smoky Mountains National Park

"Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of cancer."  -Edward Abbey