[tn-bird] Re: fossil fuel cost influences sugar solution debate for hummingbi...

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 10:17:56 EDT

I agree with the sentiments put forth but the whole thing breaks down on one
point. One truck will carry thousands of pounds but the alternative is to
have thousands of people in their cars running all over the place to buy
produce and looking the farmers in the eye. Fuel economics I think Not.

Back to birds. An impressive sighting I failed to mentioned and enjoyed by
those that were at Ensley this weekend was the enormous numbers of Chimney
Swift that were present. No matter the direction you looked if you scanned
the far horizon the swifts looked like gnats. In the mix were swallows and
Purple Martins but the swifts had everything out numbered 100 to one. Many
there stated that they had never seen such a congregation.  It is not unusual
but much overlooked to see such swarms there at this time of the year.

There was also a very slow movement of high flying raptors almost too high
for field glasses but not undetected by the every vigilant shorebirds. The
resident young raptors were testing their soaring abilities by harassing the
few Turkey Vultures and one Black Vultures out for snacks. I saw Red-tail,
Red-shouldered, Broad-wing plus Kestrel swooping on the big boys. Evidently
the Mississippi Kite that had taken a liking to Black-necked Stilt babies has
moved on much to the relief of the harried Moms and Dads.

Good Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL' COOT / TLBA
Bartlett Tenn.