[TN-Bird] flocks of Fox Sparrows, Dickson Co.

  • From: richard connors <didymops07@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2014 10:27:43 -0600

15 January, 2014 Dickson County TN

On an afternoon hike at Montgomery Bell SP I came across a couple of
flocks of foraging Fox Sparrows. I first saw a couple fly up from a
small stream, where they had been bathing and drinking. As they
settled down I eventually counted 10 scratching in the leaf litter;
this is in oak woods next to Lake Woodhaven and quite a ways from any
field or briar patch. A little farther down the lake trail I came upon
another flock of aprox. 14 birds. This TOTAL of 24 is the most Fox
Sparrows I have ever seen in one area. I suppose the winter weather is
moving them around; there was no snow on the ground but a few flakes
were flying.

Other birds of interest: several Winter Wrens, a Barred Owl, and an
immature Bald Eagle. I didn't get any good sparrow photos but one of
the owl is attached.

View complete checklist online at

Richard Connors
Nashville