[TN-Bird] Re: female Yellow-headed Blackbird at Old Hickory Lake, Davidson co.

  • From: Chris Sloan <csloan1973@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Bird Listserv <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2011 15:08:27 -0600

One note of caution for anyone who goes to look for this bird.  On the
Hickory-Priest CBC in the same area where Frank found the
Yellow-headed, we found a partially albino female Red-winged Blackbird
that had a buffy/yellowish face and throat.  That bird was clearly not
a Yellow-headed after a quick study due to the extensive white in the
tail and wings; it actually looks pretty striking both on the ground
and in the air.  But, for about 30 seconds it got us excited.  I told
Frank yesterday when he stopped by to show me the photos that it was
pretty funny that he found a real Yellow-headed there a week or so
after we found that other bird that had us thinking about it!

Chris Sloan
Nashville, TN
http://www.chrissloanphotography.com