[TN-Bird] feather question

  • From: "Carole Gobert" <cpgobert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 10:14:24 -0500

I could use some help identifying a bird from a pile of feathers.  Saturday
a large scattering of black and white feathers appeared in and around the
small thicket behind my house.  A Cooper's hawk has been hanging out there.
In fact, when I walked into the thicket to examine the feathers yesterday, I
surprised the hawk (actually, we surprised each other) and it flew away.
Some of the smaller feathers are pure white and the larger ones are gray
along the shaft and then black with large white spots.  Do red bellied
woodpeckers have spotted feathers?

I have been finding these feathers in my yard for a couple years... one at a
time, and I always thought they belonged to the helmeted guinea fowls that
are kept by someone up the street and allowed to roam free.  My back yard
feeders and bird bath are a favorite place for these fowl to visit.  But
upon finding so many of them and suspecting a Cooper's hawk, I wonder could
a Cooper's hawk really take down a guinea fowl which is quite a large bird?

If the feathers belong to a woodpecker, wouldn't at least some of them be
striped?

Of course, I'm hoping it was a guinea fowl.  There have been 5 of them
lately and I will count them the next time I see them.  I haven't seen them
since finding the feathers, but then I wasn't home much this weekend.

I'd appreciate any help you can offer on this.  Thanks.

Carole Gobert
Knoxville, Knox County, Tennessee