[tn-bird] "delay" in digital cameras

  • From: K Dean EDWARDS <kde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2002 09:35:50 -0500 (EST)

Thought I'd jump in on this thread.  Jesse is right about the
solution to the "delay" between snapping the shutter and taking
the shot.  Press and hold the button half-way until the picture
un-freezes (or the green light stops flashing on the Sony FD-95)
then snap the shot whenever you're ready.  The part I wanted to
add was to let you know that during the delay, the camera is
selecting the proper autofocus, aperature and f-stop.  If you
preset some of these values, it should reduce the delay.

This is a handy way to "cheat" on where your camera is set.  For
example, if you're taking a shot of a bright object, say a Ross's
Goose in sunlight, and you aim at the goose when you're setting
the auto-aperature and f-stop, the aperature will be very small
and you'll get a dark picture.  If you aim at the grass, press
and hold the button halfway to get the autosettings, then pan
back to the goose and take the shot, you'll get a much better
pic.  Check out the two sets of Ross's Goose pics on my website
to see what I mean (www-chaos.engr.utk.edu/~kde).

Dean Edwards
Knoxville, TN
kde@xxxxxxx