[TN-Bird] dealing with a tail on a pig -- compairing eBird to TN-Bird

  • From: "BBC Net" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'tn-bird'" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2014 10:47:17 -0400

Hi Jim,

I sense a bit of backdoor language to suggest that eBird is a a better or
more modern or more effective way of reporting birds seen than using
TN-Bird.    That's ok with me.

Most new members to a group like TN-Bird simply read along for a few days
and it becomes obvious what birds are being reported to a list.  None of us
worry about cluttering up inboxes with our observations.  You should not
suffer guilt about that.

You would be surprised to learn how much TN-Birders know about the
"benefits" of eBird.  The "benefits" are not the same fpr all eBird users.
eBird users are all over the world.

Comparing TN-Bird to eBird is a useless exercise.  However, such a
comparison is sort of like a tail on a pig.  It doesn't do much for the pig
but it does make the pig look a little better.  I suppose you can say I am
sort of like the tail on a pig in this discussion J

Both lists serve their own purposes in different ways to help different
birders and ornithologists achieve different goals.  Believe it or not,
subscribers to both are not uncommon on TN-Birds.

Let's go birding . . . .

Wallace Coffey

Tennessee Ornithological Society

TN-Bird Moderator