[TN-Bird] "court nominee" discussion has been closed

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TN-birds" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 20:03:07 -0400

TN-Birders:

Views or opinions about a nominee for the Supreme Court are not appropriate
subject matters for TN-Birds.  As moderator of the list, further discussion of
that subject has been closed.

From time to time, we will have subscribers who express controversial and
inappropriate messages.  The person making the post may not believe their post
is inappropriate for TN-Birds.  As moderator of this list, I want to thank
those, who in my absence, stated that the subject matter should not be on
TN-Birds.  I appreciate the calm and polite way subscribers responded.

This list is owned and managed by the Tennessee Ornithological Society. As
moderator of the TN-Birds list, I serve at the pleasure of the society.  We
cannot have a list of rules to cover the varied, possibilie, discussions.  So,
as moderator, it is my role to manage the traffic, manage discussions, manage
subjects and manage controversy.  I try to be fair.  Since I am no stranger to
controversey, and I am outspoken and controversial at times, I allow more than
most moderators.   I honestly don't think I am being unfair.

Subscribers to this list have a right to address controversial subjects or
participate in controversial discussions.  Historically and traditionally,
TN-Birds subscribers have expressed their desires that this list should not be
a forum for discussions that comment on political parties, political
candidates, political nominations and such.  So it is not.  And it will not be.
 Subscribers have said that discussion which address the partisan political
reasons why things have or will happen are not appropriate for TN-Birds.

As of 8 p.m. Eastern and 7 p.m. Central, today's political discussion should be
closed.  I ask that everyone refrain from political discussion.  Thanks to
everyone for their support and cooperation.

There will be no online debate of this decision.  If you disagree you may
e-mail me at wallace@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  I will be more than happy to give
careful consideration to all view and messages.  If, in my opinion, we have
issues which need to be discussed more further on TN-Birds,  I will address
that online with all subscribers.  Any subscriber who continues this political
discussion will lose privilages to this forum.

Let's go birding.....

Wallace Coffey
Moderator TN-Birds
Tennessee Ornithological Society