[TN-Bird] Re: communists

  • From: James Brooks <comeback@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: harrijb0@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 04:26:00 -0800 (GMT-08:00)

Mr. Mitchell knows of what he speaks. Bird watchers have a long and honorable
tradition of working as spies.
Who else could travel around the countryside, visit dam sites, sewage treatment
ponds (infrastructure), settling ponds and fields around major industries,
nuclear sites, power generating stateions, submarine bases, other military
bases etc. while carrying cameras with long lenses, binoculars, spotting scopes
and sound recording equipment while wearing camouflaged clothing.
All spies are bird watchers if they get stopped for questioning.
A few of them really are spies, e.g. Alger Hiss was allegedly bird watching in
Whitaker Chambers pumpkin patch while passing atomic secrets. Susan Drennan of
Audubon New York was birding on Jamaica one time while carrying the local field
guide with Hiss's name on it. His personal birding library was donated to
Audubon by his widow.
Speaking of Jamaica, it was the home of Ian Fleming, a residence visited one
time by the real James Bond, author of Birds of the Caribbean. Fleming
initiated the crime of identity theft. Mary Wickham Bond called Fleming, "the
thief of my husband's identity." While there Fleming put Bond to the test and
asked what were the birds flying under the house. Replying with Bondian
brevity, James said, "Cliff Swallows".
The real James Bond was later the recipient of a spoof titled, "On Her
Majesty's Ornithological Service."
That the cover of bird watcher is such a successful one I have only to cite how
few of them have actually come to light. While not every bird watcher is a
spy..., well, let's not get into that.

Brooks, James Brooks