[TN-Bird] changing seasons

  • From: "Ruth Luckado" <luck@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2013 11:07:22 -0500

19 Pine Siskins, that have been at my platform feeder for the past 21/2 months
along with 9 Purple Finches have departed---have mixed feelings---my seed bill
had hit the ceiling and gone through it BUT this is the first time in 50 years
that we have been so fortunate, so I'm having a few empty feeling days and
withdrawal symptoms--HOWEVER, the Ruby Throated is in, and the Red-headed
Woodpecker, whose nesting hole was destroyed by a neighbor's tree felling, is
coming to the suet feeder.  I own some wooded land behind my house, so hope
he's found a new home there---will check soon.

Also, I have been enjoying the migrating warblers stopping by the Mid-Tn area;
the summer breeders showing up (especially the Yellow-crowned Night Herons, and
the Black & White warbler at Murfree Spring-;--oh yes and the Cattle Egrets in
the fields near Woods Reservoir plus the Great Egret reported on Little Elder
Island by Dale Swant.   What a charmed life we birders have!!!

Ruth Luckado
Tullahoma, Tn