[TN-Bird] cerulean warbler survey in western putnam co. (longish)

  • From: "Stephen J. Stedman" <sstedman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 08:13:29 -0500

Yesterday (20 May 2004) Winston Walden
and I conducted a survey for Cerulean Warblers
in western Putnam Co.  This part of the county
is characterized by steep-sided ridges covered
with fairly mature deciduous forest.  Tulip poplars
are an especially prevalent species throughout the
area and might be considered the dominant species
or at least a co-dominant.  Elevation in this part of the
county starts at about 650 feet at the low end along
the Caney Fork River and rises to 1050-1100 feet
at the high end where the Highland Rim begins.
We began the survey at 0545 CDT and ended
at 1545 CDT, covering the route described below
in 10 hours.  The route was about 70-80 miles
long depending on how one figures in the back-
tracking involved in running the route.

It's not clear to me how much of the available
Cerulean Warbler habitat in western Putnam County
is within earshot (say, 300 meters of so) of the roads
in the area, but I doubt that the roads allow coverage
of more than 20-25% of the habitat; this is admittedly
just a guess on my part.

The route we covered lies mainly west of Rt. 56 and
north of  I-40; a small section at the end, where no
Cerulean Warblers were found, is south of I-40.
We did not cover all the roads in this quadrant of
the county, but did cover a fairly high percentage of
them.

We began the trip at the intersection of Rt. 70N
and Bryant Ridge Rd., about 4 miles west of the
intersection of Rts. 70N and 56 near Baxter,
TN. We took Bryant Ridge Rd. north 1.75 miles
to Broadwater Branch Rd. and followed that
road north (down the escarpment separating the
Highland Rim from the Central Basin) to Martin
Creek Rd.; we next traveled east on Martin Creek
Rd. (up the escarpment) to Jess Rodgers Rd., which
we followed to its end about 0.65 miles away; we
returned to Martin Creek Rd. and followed it east
to Carrington Hollow Rd. on the right. We took Carrington
Hollow (down the escarpment) north to Brown Hollow
Rd., which we followed about 0.4 mi and then back-
tracked to Carrington Hollow Rd., which we
followed to Martin Creek Rd. We then took Martin
Creek Rd. west to McBroom Branch Rd. and took
it south (up the escarpment) to where it interesected
with Bryant Ridge Rd. From there we returned to Rt. 70N
and took it west about one mile to Maddux Ridge Rd.,
we followed Maddux Ridge to Indian Creek Rd. and
took it west (down the escarpment) to Tightfit Rd.,
which we followed (up the escarpment) to Tightfit Lane;
we then backtracked on Tightfit Rd. to Indian Creek Rd.
(back down the escarpment) and followed it to
Anderson-Carr Rd.; we followed Anderson-Carr
(up the escarpment) to Carr Ridge Rd., and followed
Carr Ridge Rd. to Hopewell Rd.; we turned west on
Hopewell Rd. and followed it (down the escarpment) to
its intersection with Indian Creek Rd., which we
followed back to Anderson-Carr Rd.; we then
backtracked on Indian Creek Rd. to Stanton Rd.
and took it north (up the escarpment to Rt. 70N.
We turned west on Rt. 70N and went a quarter
mile to Little Indian Creek Rd. on the right and
followed it (down the escarpment) to Ensor Creek
Rd.; we then took Ensor Creek Rd. left and followed
it (up the escarpment) to Rt. 70N; we turned west on
Rt. 70N for 0.1 mile and turned left on Rock Springs
Rd., which we followed (down the escarpment) to Rt.
96; we turned right on Rt. 96 for 0.25 miles and turned
left (west) on St. Mary's Rd.; we followed St. Mary's
Rd. 0.55 miles to Bates Rd. on the left and followed it
one mile to its end and then backtracked to St.
Mary's, on which we turned right and backtracked
to Rt. 96; we took Rt. 96 south to Hopewell Rd. and
turned left on Hopewell and followed it 1.4 miles to
its intersection with Indian Creek Rd.; then we
backtracked to Rt. 96 and turned left, crossed
under I-40, and turned left on Baxter Rd., which
we followed (up the escarpment) to Rt. 141 (but we
stopped counting about one mile up Baxter Rd.).

We encountered 47 Cerulean Warblers along this route:

One was found on Bryant Ridge Rd. about 1.4 miles
from Rt. 70N.

One was found at the intersection of Bryant Ridge Rd.
and Broadwater Branch Rd.

One was found 0.35 miles down Broadwater Branch Rd.

One was found 0.55 miles down Broadwater Branch Rd.

One was found 0.9 miles down Broadwater Branch Rd.

One was found 1.05 miles down Broadwater Branch Rd.

One was found on Martin Creek Rd. 0.45 miles east of the
intersection with Broadwater Branch Rd.

One was found on Martin Creek Rd. 0.6 miles east of
the intersection with Broadwater Branch Rd.

Two were found Martin Creek Rd. 0.05 miles east
of the intersection with Flatt Hollow Rd.

One was found 0.25 miles east of the intersection with
Flatt Hollow Rd.

One was found 0.4 miles east of the intersection
with Flatt Hollow Rd.

One was found on Jess Rodgers Rd. about 0.5
miles from intersection with Martin Creek Rd. (about
0.15 miles from end of Jess Rodgers Rd.).

One was found on Carrington Hollow Rd. 0.7 miles
from the intersection with Martin Creek Rd.

One was found on Carrington Hollow Rd. about
0.8+ miles from Martin Creek Rd.

Two were found on Carrington Hollow Rd. about
0.95 miles from Martin Creek Rd.

One was found on Carrington Hollow Rd. about
1.5 miles from Martin Creek Rd.

One was found on Carrington Hollow Rd. about
1.8 miles from Martin Creek Rd. (and about
0.2 miles from the intersection of Carrington
Hollow and Brown Hollow Rds).

One was found on Brown Hollow Rd. about 0.1
miles from Carrington Hollow Rd.

One was found on Brown Hollow Rd. about
0.3 miles from Carrington Hollow Rd.

One was found on Carrington Hollow Rd. about
0.3 miles beyond intersection with Brown Hollow
Rd.

Two were found on Carrington Hollow Rd. about
0.6 miles beyond Brown Hollow Rd.

One was found on Carrington Hollow Rd. about
0.8 miles beyond Brown Hollow Rd.

One was found on Carrington Hollow Rd. about
1.1 miles past Brown Hollow Rd.

Two were found on Martin Creek Rd. about
0.35 miles west of the intersection with Broadwater
Branch Rd.

One was found on Martin Creek Rd. about
0.55 miles west of Broadwater Branch Rd.

One was found on Martin Creek Rd. about
0.9 miles west of Broadwater Branch Rd.

One was found on Martin Creek Rd. about
1.2 miles west of Broadwater Branch Rd.

One was found on Martin Creek Rd. about
2.2 miles west of Broadwater Branch Rd.

One was found on McBroom Branch Rd.
about 2.25 miles up the road from
intersection with Martin Creek Rd.

One was found on McBroom Branch Rd. about
2.5 miles up the road from Martin Creek Rd.

One was found on McBroom Branch Rd. about
3 miles form Martin Creek Rd.

One was found on Indian Creek Rd. about
0.25 miles west of intersection with Maddux
Ridge Rd.

One was found on Tightfit Rd. about 0.7 miles
east of the intersection with Indian Creek Rd.

One was found on Indian Creek Rd. about 0.6
miles west of the intersection with Tightfit Rd.

One was found on Carr Ridge Rd. about
0.65 miles north of Hopewell Rd. (and about
1.2 miles from the intersection of Anderson-Carr
and Carr Ridge rds.).

One was found on Hopewell Rd. about 1.1
miles west of the intersection of Hopewell
Rd. and Carr Ridge Rd.

Two were found on Hopewell Rd. about
1.45 miles west of the intersection of
Hopewell Rd. and Carr Ridge Rd.

One was found on Indian Creek Rd. about
2.65 miles east of the intersection
of Indian Creek Rd. and Hopewell Rd.

One was found on Little Indian Creek Rd.
about 0.65 miles north of the intersection of
Little Indian Creek Rd. and Rt. 70N.

One was found on Little Indian Creek Rd.
about 0.9 miles north of the intersection
of Little Indian Creek and Rt. 70N.

One was found on Ensor Creek Rd. about
2.5 miles south of the intersection of
Ensor Creek Rd. and Little Indian Creek Rd.

One was found on Hopewell Rd. about 0.4
miles west of the intersection of
Hopewell Rd. and Indian Creek Rd.

Besides the Cerulean Warblers, we also
counted 58 American Redstarts on this
survey.  Often, but not always, the redstarts
and Ceruleans were found at the same sites;
this was the case for a bit more than half
of the Ceruleans we counted.  Acadian
Flycatchers were also prevalent on this
survey; we counted 98.  The only nonbreeding
species we encountered yesterday in our
daily list of 71 species was a freshly
road-killed Gray-cheeked Thrush.

Steve Stedman