[TN-Bird] cerulean warbler survey and point counts in putnam county

  • From: "Stephen Stedman" <SStedman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 May 2011 11:08:23 -0500

On 20 May 2011 I conducted a driving survey for Cerulean Warblers
(CERWs) along 51 miles of back roads in western Putnam County,
Tennessee, replicating a route that I have run each year since 2004,
always on 19 or 20 May.  This year I counted 49 CERWs along this route;
totals for 2007, 2008, 2009, and 2010 were 28, 36, 40, and 53. I kept
track of other species along the route; results as summarized by an
edited eBird list are below.  More lingering transient species were
present this year than usual.  Red-eyed Vireos were up by almost 100
individuals over the previous highest total accumulated during the
driving survey.

Besides the driving route, I also conduct 50 point counts of 10 minutes
each in the same part of Putnam County.  This year I counted 25 CERWs on
these points; totals for 2007, 2008, 2009, and 2010 were 33, 20, 25, and
29.  The dates of the point counts have varied from 18-22 May (this
year) to 5-8 June (2007), with point counts in more recent years being
conducted earlier than point counts in earlier years, a variable that
undoubtedly affects the results.  I have had to conduct the point counts
earlier in recent years to accommodate forays conducted  in several
counties of the Upper Cumberland each year recently (and planned this
year for Overton, Putnam, and Van Buren, TN, and McCreary, KY) and to
accommodate running seven Breeding Bird Surveys.

Steve Stedman

Cookeville, TN

Location:     Western Putnam Co., TN

Observation date:     5/20/11

Notes:     This driving bird count in western Putnam County was
conducted over the same 51 miles (82 km) of roads that I have surveyed
during seven previous years (2004-2010), primarily to survey Cerulean
Warblers; the survey period was 0535-1235 CDT. Each of these 8 counts
was conducted on either the 19th or the 20th of May. The total (49) for
CERW was second highest among the 8 counts; more CERWs were on the lower
half of the slopes of the escarpment (between the Highland Rim and the
Central Basin parts of the county) than was the case during most counts
made in previous years; all CERWs were singing males. Weather was
conducive to good counting: 59-75 degrees F; little wind; partly cloudy
to cloudy.

Number of species: 75; Total individuals  2147

Black Vulture     4

Turkey Vulture     4

Red-shouldered Hawk     1

Rock Pigeon     1

Mourning Dove     28

Yellow-billed Cuckoo     3

Chimney Swift     3

Ruby-throated Hummingbird     1

Belted Kingfisher     1

Red-bellied Woodpecker     13

Downy Woodpecker     2

Hairy Woodpecker     1

Pileated Woodpecker     5

Eastern Wood-Pewee     39

Acadian Flycatcher     89

Eastern Phoebe     13

Great Crested Flycatcher     4

Eastern Kingbird     4

White-eyed Vireo     64

Yellow-throated Vireo     18

Red-eyed Vireo     378

Blue Jay     9

American Crow     24

Northern Rough-winged Swallow     3

Barn Swallow     13

Cliff Swallow     3

Carolina Chickadee     19

Tufted Titmouse     60

White-breasted Nuthatch     4

Carolina Wren     77

Blue-gray Gnatcatcher     63

Eastern Bluebird     9

Gray-cheeked Thrush     1

Swainson's Thrush     3

Wood Thrush     26

American Robin     1

Gray Catbird     3

Northern Mockingbird     11

Brown Thrasher     3

European Starling     14

Cedar Waxwing     6

Blue-winged Warbler     18

Northern Parula     88

Yellow Warbler     15

Black-throated Green Warbler     1

Yellow-throated Warbler     10

Prairie Warbler     33

Cerulean Warbler     49

Black-and-white Warbler     4

American Redstart     81

Worm-eating Warbler     2

Ovenbird     5

Louisiana Waterthrush     12

Kentucky Warbler     47

Common Yellowthroat     55

Hooded Warbler     43

Canada Warbler     1

Yellow-breasted Chat     47

Eastern Towhee     62

Chipping Sparrow     25

Field Sparrow     38

Song Sparrow     2

Summer Tanager     44

Scarlet Tanager     21

Northern Cardinal     92

Blue Grosbeak     5

Indigo Bunting     234

Red-winged Blackbird     8

Eastern Meadowlark     4

Common Grackle     8

Brown-headed Cowbird     26

Orchard Oriole     17

House Finch     2

American Goldfinch     18

House Sparrow     1

This report was generated automatically by eBird

               Assistant Moderator Chris O'Bryan
                        Clarksville, TN

                       MAP RESOURCES