[TN-Bird] birding "hwy" 79, Lake Co

  • From: "Nancy Moore" <jaybird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TN-BIRD" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 11:11:58 -0500

"hwy" 79
Southwest Lake co. Tn.
Off of the Great River Rd.
Birded late Sat. afternoon 4/21/06 with Kathie Holder from Memphis.  We went
down to Hwy 79 which will eventually deadend near the Miss River. The road gets
fairly rough as you go further down it.  Tumbleweed WMA  is also off of this
road.  And is the area where the Black billed Cuckoo's were found nesting on
our spring Ct. several years ago by Jeff Wilson and Mark Green.  When there are
mud flats it is also great for Shorebirds. Fields have been a good place to see
Upland Sandpipers in past years.

The area is fairly dry and no mud flats were found but we did find  a flock of
Savannah Sparrows, Dickcissels, Warbling Vireos (great looks) in several
places, Baltimore Orioles and Orchard Orioles by the numbers in the trees on
the sides as you driver further down the road. There were Palm Warblers,
Yellowrumps, (Kathie had Grasshopper sparrows on Sunday), Field Sparrows, AM.
Pipits (2), great look at White Crowned Sp.(3), Black and white Warbler, heard
a number of Bob White Quail,  Lincoln Sp. , Warbler species should be
increasing daily.

We drove down the first road that goes into the Tumbleweed WMA and saw more
Savannahs. I wanted to find a sand mound and see if the bank swallows were
nesting but the one we found did not have any sign of nesting. The road got
muddier to drive on and we turned back and headed home. It was 6:30 by then.
The trees were full of birds, mostly Orioles. ( As it is every year) .  What a
sound.

Nancy Moore
Bluebasin Cove B&B
Reelfoot lake