[TN-Bird] Re: birding hot spots in TN

  • From: <cpnichol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 8:37:18 -0400

Scott,
In addition to the birding places that David Trently mentioned in his email, I
suggest the Catoosa Wildlife Management Area.  This is a large area owned and
managed by the Tennessee WiIldlife Resources Agency that is immediately north
of Fairfield Glade.  One of the main entrance roads to the WMA turns off of TN
101 (Peavine Road) to the north a mile or 2 towards Fairfield Glade from I-40.
There is a sign for the WMA at this intersection.  You can also get to the WMA
by continuing on Peavine Road to the east through the Fairfield Glade area to
the intersection with Hebbertsburg Road, and then turn north (left) onto
Hebbertsburg Road and into the WMA.

The WMA has a large variety of forest species, including warblers, vireos,
tanagers, etc.  There are many streams, some of which are in deeply incised
gorges.   There are also many logging roads and trails that you can walk.
Turkey hunting season is open, so I'm not sure the area will be fully open to
the non-hunting public.

Chuck Nicholson
Norris, TN