[TN-Bird] Re: bird song in winter

  • From: Ed Schneider <ed.schneider@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Mike Todd <birder1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Durwood Edwards <durwoode@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2013 08:08:11 -0600

Hear hear!!!
Ed

Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2013 19:23:42 -0800
From: birder1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [TN-Bird] Re: bird song in winter
To: durwoode@xxxxxxxxxx; ed.schneider@xxxxxxxxxxx
CC: harpagus@xxxxxxxxx; tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I've regularly heard Fox Sparrows sing in mid-winter here in TN, one of my
favorite songs of the season. Some of these have been on cold, wintry days so
they will sing when the urge strikes even if it is not one of these nice spring
days. Sure is hard to beat a chorus of Fox and Zonotrichia sparrows to raise
your spirits on a winter day!

Good Birding!!

Mike Todd
McKenzie, TN
birder1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.pbase.com/mctodd

Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2013 08:23:23 -0800
From: harpagus@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [TN-Bird] bird song in winter
To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I spent a little time at the APSU Farm (Montgomery Co.) this morning and was
surprised not only to find at least 5 Fox Sparrows, but even more surprised to
hear two different individuals singing. I've never encountered Fox Sparrow song
in the winter...but I'm new around here - is this common?

In the forest, I also heard a few songs from a Brown Creeper, and a whisper
song from a Hermit Thrush. Maybe just the lovely spring-like temperature this
morning?

Best birding,

Stefan Woltmann, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor