[TN-Bird] belated report, search for Ferruginous Hawk; Lake Co 11/23/2010

  • From: "Michael & Rebecca Todd" <birder1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2010 19:20:36 -0600

11/23/2010
Jolly's Landing, Lake Co
Due to an appt. for PT after work, I didn't arrive at Jolly's Landing until
noon. Jeff and David Kirschke had a brief encounter with the Ferruginous about
10:30 yesterday morning when they saw it low over the same field as it was seen
by Mark. They lost if flying low and away from them.

We watched this area until dark yesterday, with no further sightings of the
Ferruginous. There were always several Harriers in the area, and an adult and
juv. Krider's, as well as several other Red-tails including a light-morph
western bird. The young Krider's put on a fine show, kiting over the area off
and on all day.

Not much else of note. Several groups of Pelicans, and late in the day a flock
of geese high overhead held Greater White-fronted, Snow, and a couple of
Ross's. We stayed until dark and had at least 4, and probably 5, Short-eared
Owls working over the same field that we had been watching for the Ferruginous.
On the way out we also had 3 Short-eared along Van Works Rd.

Hopefully the Ferruginous will be seen again. I have posted a few photos, a
couple of distant shots of the striking young Krider's, and a couple of
Pelicans overhead.

If interested, the photos are in my Fall 2010 gallery, with the first one
starting here:
http://www.pbase.com/mctodd/image/130611796/original

Good Birding!!

Mike Todd