[TN-Bird] banding at Tremont

  • From: Charlie <cmmbirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Bird <TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 18:44:14 -0700 (PDT)

Hi folks,

Had 10 nets open for 6 hours, 10 minutes each on Sunday.  We have a
MAPS station at Tremont, in the Blount County section of Great Smoky
Mountains National Park.

We only caught 9 birds, but a couple were interesting.

The first catch of the day was a pair of Acadian Flycatchers.  One
was a bird that was initially banded as an after first year bird in
2000, making it at least 4 years old.

As I was pulling a Tufted Titmouse from the net, another fly in from
behind me, close enough to brush my cheek!  When it hit the net I was
able to grab it with my left hand, even as my right held the first
bird.  A call for help brought Tracey up to help me finish up the
juggling act.

We also had:  American Goldfinch, Worm-eating Warbler, Northern
Parula, Indigo Bunting and Hooded Warbler.

But perhaps most significant, we didn't have a single Louisiana
Waterthrush.  IN 3 years of banding here (8 days a season, 6 hours a
day, 10 nets) that has only happened a couple times before, each
after the young had fledged and the population dispersed.  As the day
wore on, we never once heard more than one singing.  Perhaps this is
the work of the flooding?

Good day!

Charlie

=====
Charlie Muise, Senior Naturalist
Great Smoky Mountains Institute at Tremont
Townsend, TN  lat 35 deg, 38'23"  long 83 deg, 41'22"

"Up, Sluggard, and waste not life; in the grave will be sleeping enough"
 - Ben Frankline, Poor Richard's Almanac