[TN-Bird] baby owls, warblers, moths and such

  • From: K Dean EDWARDS <kde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tennessee Birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 09:13:39 -0500 (EST)

A possible sign of spring, early Saturday morning (~4am) I was
awaken by the horrendous screeching and squealing of young
Great Horned Owls from the woods behind our house in west
Knoxville.  The previous night, I had walked out into the
woods at sunset hoping to spot the parent owls as they became
active.  Missed the owls but did hear a displaying American
Woodcock overhead for the second time this month (the first
was during the Knoxville CBC).

Sunday afternoon, I took the laptop over to the window so I
could look out while finishing up the compilation of the
aforementioned Knoxville CBC (more on that later).  Managed
a modest 24 species out the window including 3 warblers:
Yellow-rumped, Pine and Palm.

My moth vigil has slowed down a bit but there are still a few
out on warm nights this time of year.  After getting my first
Fall Cankerworm Moth (Alsophila pometaria) on 29 Dec, four days
later on 2 Jan I spotted the first Spring Cankerworm Moth
(Paleacrita vernata).  This month I've also had Green Cloverworm
Moth (Plathypena scabra) and a rusty colored critter I've yet to
get a good look at but which is probably a Straight-edged Sallow
or one of its close relatives.  I've only been doing this for
about 8-9 months but have already found (and identified) right
around 150 species in the yard with pictures of another 20-30 or
so species that I haven't been able to identify yet.

Dean Edwards
Knoxville, TN