[TN-Bird] august siskins in middle tn

  • From: Stephen Stedman <SStedman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tennessee Birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 13:53:55 -0500

Last Friday as I was beginning a NABA butterfly count at my house with
Judy Fuson, we heard a calling Pine Siskin in the trees over the house.
The bird called on and off for 30 minutes as we counted butterflies, but
we were never able to see it.  I asked Barb, my wife, to have a look
around for butterflies and siskins after I left for other sites, and she
was able to see two siskins in trees over our bird feeders a little
later in the morning.

I strongly suspect some local breeding might have been going on in the
local area this summer based on this record and an earlier one (sometime
in July--I was so suspicious of the four or so calls that I heard that I
did not even write down the date of this earlier siskin appearance at
the house), but beyond these records and some sightings in early June, I
have nothing to go on.  Anyone else have non-Smoky Mt.-related sightings
in TN after early June?

Steve Stedman
Cookeville, TN