[TN-Bird] addenda to a stellar week of birding

  • From: Dnldhlt@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2004 10:29:18 -0400

At Carver's Gap on Roan Mtn., Carter Co., TN on Saturday 04 SEP 2004 I saw a
Bay-breasted Warbler, first fall female.  Also Chestnut-sided, Magnolia,
Blackburnian, Hooded, Tennessee, Black-throated Blue, and Black-throated Green
Warblers.  All these were in a nice little mixed flock, and most of them got
buzzed by a Ruby-throated Hummingbird at some time.  At one moment I saw at
least six hummers simultaneously.

At Rankin Bottoms, Sunday 05 SEP 2004, the Merlin Chuck Nicholson reported for
Rack and I was an adult female.  She perched in a dead tree maybe one hundred
feet away for several minutes.

I've had a great week of birding at Roan Mtn. and Rankin Bottoms trying to
better learn fall warblers and shorebirds.  Many thanks to all those I've had
the pleasure of birding with recently.  Special thanks to Rick Knight who
quietly reveals the hidden bird treasures in Carver's Gap at his banding
station; and to Michael Sledjeski and Leslie Gibbens who avidly aid so many in
accessing and enjoying the beauties of Rankin Bottoms.

Don Holt
Johnson City, TN