[TN-Bird] add: Sanderling

  • From: "michael sledjeski" <mtnsylva@xxxxxxx>
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, doneil@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2007 09:44:50 -0400

RE:  Dutch Bottoms 8/25/07

We saw a bird yesterday that at first glance looked like a sanderling, but
had odd reddish markings and stripes.  We later compared photos with our
guides and nothing matched.  I sent images to Don Miller and others, and
Don, who's had more experience with sanderlings through the year, confirmed
that it was a sanderling in some idiosyncratic molting pattern.  That
brings the total to 17 shorebird species at Dutch Bottoms yesterday.

Michael Sledjeski & Leslie Gibbens
Del Rio TN