[TN-Bird] abundance of House Sparrows?

  • From: Laura Jennings McCall <lmccall@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: birdline <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2007 15:56:05 -0500

Has anyone else noticed an abundance of House Sparrows?  I'm inundated.
  There's probably 30-40 in my yard, and they've been here a while.
They apparently had a bumper crop this summer, even though I evicted
them from my bluebird box.  I'm not sure where they nested after that.

Currently I'm feeding black oil sunflower and nyjer seed.  I've heard
the House Sparrows don't particularly like black oil sunflower, but
they're gobbling it up at my house.  I intend to put out suet soon, but
that always seems to encourage the starlings, and I think the House
Sparrows will prefer it, too.

Anyone have any ideas for discouraging them?

Thanks,
Laura McCall
Lynchburg, TN  (Moore Co)