[TN-Bird] Your Migrants in Costa Rica (long)

  • From: "Dev Joslin" <devjoslin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 18:02:33 -0600

Ola from Costa Rica! I would like to announce my intent this spring to file
irregular reports on the passage of neotropical migrants as they leave or
pass through Costa Rica.

SPRING MIGRATION

I have provided, at the end of this email, a list of the principal species
that winter here in Costa Rica at our elevation (4000 feet) and position on
the Pacific slope (Cordillera de Tilaran near Monteverde), and those that
commonly migrate through here.  I have indicated the most common ones with
asterisks (*).  Over the next two months or so, I will try to report when
migrants are passing through (or appear to be leaving) and indicate whether
numbers appear high (just a general impression) and when their numbers
appear to have peaked.

MIGRANTS THIS PAST FALL AND WINTER

I have been very lax in reporting neotropical migrants here in our location
in Costa Rica this fall and winter.  The chief reason has been the general
lack of activity by most migrants in our area.

Aside from a few common regulars (Summer Tanager, Wilson?s Warbler,
Black-and-white Warbler), numbers have been very low when compared to the
previous winter.  Whereas last winter most insectivorous feeding flocks
consisted of about 50% local species and 50% neotropical migrants, this year
about 90% of the birds in these small flocks are local species (chiefly
Golden-crowned Warblers, Common Bush-tanagers, Slate-throated Redstarts,
Olivaceous Woodcreepers, etc.).  At times all of the usual neotropical
species have been mixed into these flocks, but only in very low numbers and
only occasionally (Yellow-throated Vireo, Golden-winged Warbler, Blue-winged
Warbler, Tennessee Warbler, Black-throated Green Warbler, Townsend?s
Warbler).

There are several hypotheses I propose for this rather drastic change
between winter 2004-5 and this past winter:
1)      There are fewer migrants in Costa Rica this year for various reasons,
possibly the extremely high number (and high intensity) of hurricances
during fall migration?I personally do not think this is very plausible as I
have seen good numbers of the same species at lower elevations.
2)      There was excessive rainfall here throughout September and October (42
out of 46 days the sun did not come out at all and it rained pretty much 24
hours a day?a result of the incredible hurricane activity in the southern
Caribbean during those months).  This year was in stark contrast to the
previous years? weather during these months, when rainfall was unusually low
and most days were sunny.  This year?s conditions resulted in terrible
feeding conditions for newly arriving insectivorous neotropical migrants,
who therefore (according to this hypothesis) chose to set up there winter
feeding territories elsewhere (probably at slightly lower elevations and/or
on the Caribbean slope where there was less rain).
3)      The excessive rainfall in Sept. and Oct. resulted in very low
reproductive success among many insect species, since many attempt to mate
in the air and continuous rainfall day and night can make this very
difficult.  This resulted in a very low supply of insect larvae and adults
for months after the fall rains.  In fact, we have observed very few insects
eating our orchard trees, native trees, or in our vegetables this winter
compared to the year before.

I strongly believe that both hypotheses 2 and 3 are both together the causes
of the change, though I have no hard data to back that up.  This, to me,
demonstrates the tremendous potential impact that climate changes can have
on bird behavior.  At the same time, it hints at the adaptability of most
species to such changes when such adaptations are possible?for example,
moving to a lower elevation or to a different slope position.  Of course,
one should note the caveat of ?when such adaptations are possible.?
        Hypothesis 2 also indicates that once they chose a general wintering
territory, many birds have a fair amount of faithfulness to these
territories.
        Whether my speculations are correct or not, it certainly has been an
interesting year here, though I prefer it when there are more species rather
than less!

Here is my list of common neotropical migrants here, which I hope to report
on:

WINTER RESIDENTS (and Passing Migrants) LEAVING:
Wood Thrush
*Yellow-throated Vireo
*Black-and-white Warbler
Worm-eating Warbler
*Golden-winged Warbler
Blue-winged Warbler
*Tennessee Warbler
Yellow Warbler
*Townsend?s Warbler
*Black-throated Green Warbler
Ovenbird
Kentucky Warbler
*Wilson?s Warbler
*Baltimore Oriole
Eastern Meadowlark
*Summer Tanager

MARCH MIGRANTS:
Broad-winged Hawk
*Ruby-throated Hummingbird
Barn Swallow
*Northern Rough-winged Swallow
*Swainson?s Thrush
La. Waterthrush

APRIL MIGRANTS:
Eastern Kingbird
Olive-sided FC
Eastern Wood-Pewee
Empidonax spp. (chiefly Alder, Willow, Yellow-bellied)
Philadelphia Vireo
*Red-eyed Vireo
*Blackburnian Warbler
Canada Warbler