[TN-Bird] Yesterday's Birding

  • From: Kevin Burke <Kevin.Burke@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2012 12:22:47 +0000

Keith Watson and I decided to go to Little Elder Island on Woods Reservoir to
try to see the Heron and Egret Rookery.  We stopped off at Bark Camp Barrens
first to try to locate a Henslow's Sparrow with no luck!  We headed on
Hickerson road south and just as it crosses Asbury road we located a LARK
SPARROW on the power line.  The bird was on Hickerson road in between Asbury
Road and Old Airport Road about ¼ mile from the Asbury Road intersection.

That made up for missing the Henslow's  Sparrow!

On little Elder Island we had

250 Cattle Egrets(lots of chicks in the nests)
20 Little Blue Herons (8 Adults and 12 White Juveniles)
1 Snowy Egret
15 Great Egrets
20 Great Blue Herons
20 Black-crowned Night Herons
2 Yellow-crowned Night Herons (Juveniles)
75 Double-crested Cormorants
And interestingly late was a pair of American Black Ducks

It was a long drive from Gatlinburg, but well worth it!

Good Birding,

Kevin Burke
Gatlinburg, TN

Kevin Burke
Assistant Store Manager | Nantahala Outdoor Center Gatlinburg
1138 Parkway | Gatlinburg, TN 37738
865.436.1159 | www.noc.com<http://www.noc.com/>