[TN-Bird] Re: Yellow-throated Warbler

  • From: "THCumbie" <thcumbie@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "David & Gloria Patterson" <dgpatterson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 09:26:57 -0400

David,

I have had a couple of good reasononable suggestions as to why I should keep my
out of control Butterfly Bush and I guess the fact that a Yellow-throated
Warbler was checking it out when they usually are seen in oak and sycamore
trees and high up would be another good one.

I am very familiar with the the Common Yellowthroat for they live in brushy
weedy areas and will often answer pishing calls.  A delightful bird.   But the
the Yellow-throated and the Yellowthroat are very different in their
descriptions.  I have often seen the masked Common Yellowthroat in this bush.
This is the first time I have seen the Yellow-throated with its yellow and
white breast, its bluish back with the white wingbars, the black stripes on its
sides and the interesting white and black eye pattern.  In fact at first glance
I thought of the Kentucky Warbler due to the black triangular pattern at the
eye which caught my attention first.

Peterson's Warbler Field Guide, plate 17, page 76 shows the bird...that is IT!
Exactly!  But thanks for helping me to see how unusual that was to have this
bird in a bush outside my living room window.  At one point it seemed to be
pulling a thin sheet of bark off the small peachtree near the window.  It slung
it around two or three times and then dropped it.  Then flew.  I have not seen
it again.  All is quiet this morning.

Tess Hughes Cumbie
Buladean, NC  Mitchell County